Our goal at D&A is to help each student reach his or her full potential across multiple domains (academic, cognitive, social/emotional and psychological). We provide evaluations that use state of the art test materials, useful recommendations and quality therapeutic interventions.
What is it?
A neuropsychological evaluation is a comprehensive assessment of cognitive functions such as learning and memory or problem solving. Standard testing procedures are used to assess the various abilities that relate to learning and using knowledge and skills.
The following areas are included:
- Intelligence / Cognitive Skills
- Academic Achievement
- Attention / Concentration
- Learning and Memory
- Language Skills
- Perceptual / Spatial Skills
- Motor Skills
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Planning, Organization, and Judgment
- Discover the causes of a child’s academic struggles
- To determine whether a child qualifies for accommodations on standardized tests such as the SAT or GRE
- Determine whether a child qualifies for special education services
- Gain a greater understanding of a child's learning style and explain it to school staff
- Obtain recommendations that will help a child learn to compensate for any difficulties
- Assess the effectiveness of treatments and interventions
- Determine whether academic difficulties are due to cognitive or motivational deficits
When It’s Needed ?
A neuropsychological evaluation should be conducted in any of the following situations:
- If your child is struggling in school or on standardized tests
- When there is a large disparity between a child’s potential or effort and his or her academic performance
- When a child displays difficulties with learning or memory
- When it is unclear why a child is struggling
- When a child has any history of neurological difficulty
- When a child has a history of developmental delay (e.g. delayed language or motor activity)
- If a child has suffered a traumatic brain injury
- If a child has suffered any toxic exposure (e.g. lead poisoning, alcohol)
- To document any changes in a child’s abilities or achievement since prior evaluations
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Please contact us if you are a school in need of neuropsychological testing, psychoeducational testing, social emotional testing, functional behavioral assessment (FBA), counseling or need a review of your Special Educational Services. We would be happy to work with you and help keep you in compliance with DESE. Use the contact form to send us your information or questions. The next step after contact is to plan a consultation to determine the best possible solution.